Tuesday, June 27, 2006

When you think you have tomorrow...

Tragedy. Devastation. Sadness.
Joy. Excitement. Long-awaited anticipation.
One day.

How can all these emotions happen in one 24 hour period? That is the question along with many others that are still plaguing my mind and heart today. Yesterday afternoon, one of our team members called us all together and told us that one of our volunteers who had been pregnant with twins went in to the ER the night before with chest pains. The doctors found out that she had a disected aorta (which basically meant that a wall in heart was torn). They thought it best for all parties involved that they go ahead and take the babies which were due in 7 weeks anyways. With it being twins, they were expecting them early, so this wasn't an uncommon thing. Sometime in the middle of the night, Matthew Logan and Sydney Elizabeth were born and although unstable are relatively healthy at this point in time.

Around noon, the mother began complaining of hot flashes to the nurse that was in the room and within moments before they could do anything, she passed away. She was able to see the babies that she had been waiting for...sadly though, she will never be able to see their first steps, take them to their first day of school, see them graduate or go off to college. She was young, maybe a couple years older than myself. She was a kindergarten teacher and her love for kids was inspiring. She and her husband were incredible volunteers in our ministry and served alongside one another faithfully. She was one of my worship leaders and her presence on stage and in our lives will be missed. She was a sweet person and my heart breaks for this young family.

It breaks for...
The husband who has experienced the greatest joy in life and the greatest sorrow all at the same time.
The tough road that lies ahead for him and for their families.
The babies who will never get to hear their momma's voice or feel her touch.

But one thing is for sure...they will grow up knowing how much she loved them, because their daddy will tell them all the time. They will know that mommy loves them, daddy loves them and most importantly that Jesus loves them.

Please lift this family up in prayer.
Lawrence and Carrie Godbey
Logan and Sydney

5 comments:

Misty said...

My heart aches for them. Thank you for sharing so we can pray.

ret said...

That is some tough, tough stuff. How terribly sad...

Anonymous said...

I have been searching for information to locate Lawrence. We were friends in High School in Risco, Mo, and my brother heard about this and immediately called me. I have been researching the net to try and find out how I can contact him, but have had little luck. I know that since this is the internet, you can't be too careful and would not expect you to give me his info. However, if you could tell him that Nancy from high school is trying to locate him, he can email me (or you on his behalf, I am sure he has so much going on and is devastated) nc_wheeler@hotmail.com Thank you with your help on this.

Anonymous said...

Carrie was my first friend. We were next door neighbors from the time I was born until her family moved when I was about 12. I was able to go to her baby shower, little did I know that would be the last time I would be able to hug her. I've been praying for Lawrence, Logan, and Sydney every night.

Anonymous said...

Carrie was my aunt and best friend. I miss her everyday. However, i know that people like you are praying for us and the babies. They're not babies anymore!!! They're big and walikin, running actually and talkin...its amazing. Not a day goes by that i dont think of her and wish she was here. I know she is sitting next to her king and we will all join her one day.