Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Still Coming Off GMA Cloud Nine

WOW!! That's about all I can say about our week in Nashville. Working at GMA week was about THE COOLEST thing I have ever experienced in my entire life - truthfully!

Quick run down...
The Gospel Music Association puts on a convention for all Christian music artists, managers, promotors, retailers, radio and industry people. They ALL come out to Nashville for a few days and have a 'family reunion' where there are concerts, showcases, worship sessions, workshops...you name it! We had the incredible privilege of helping make the week a success by working registration and helping everything to run smoothly. So we were there in the thick of it meeting and greeting everyone and anyone in the Christian music industry. I can't tell you how many cool people I met - artists, radio personalities, big-name producers and managers. And the best part was that they were all outstanding people and wonderful Christians! They are just like you and me and love Jesus just as much we do - that was my profound finding for the week!

I was pretty starstruck the first part of the week - seeing people like Michael W. Smith, Mark Schultz, Mercy Me, Ginny Owens, Jeremy Camp, David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Steve Curtis Chapman....how could you not be excited!! Then, it all came to a screaching hault when Sunday night's worship event came about. We packed the Ryman Auditorium and sang praises to our God all night. Sure, some big name artists filled the stage, but at that moment we were all on the same playing field...it seemed we were all equal before God (profound I know...but it's the way it is supposed to be, and unfortunately the industry has made it seem otherwise). The Holy Spirit flooded that auditorium and we worshiped like I have never worshiped before. I felt free to express emotions before God, free to pray and shout, and even free to weep before my Maker. I gave my all without holding anything back and expected nothing in return...and the ironic thing was that I felt more filled that night when I left than ever before. My Heavenly Father and I had intimately connected that night - and no one could stop us!

The week went by...I met lots of people and experienced some cool moments, but God still wanted to give me that "cherry on top". Becca and I were asked on Tuesday afternoon if we wanted to help backstage at the Dove Awards on Wednesday and our obvious answer was "YES...are you kidding me?" So we headed to the Grand Ole Opry House where we eventually were assigned the group SELAH for the evening. We were basically their glorified babysitters, making sure they were on stage and in their seats when they were supposed to be there. But it ended up being so much more than that. The whole evening spent with them and their choir was a blessing. We got to know them and they were wonderful Godly people. I became an even bigger fan of Selah! So we hung out backstage with them all night and when they were in their seats we hung out in the dressing room of....GET THIS....David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman and Watermark!!! yeah, that's right...you read it clearly! I seriously couldn't believe it even while I was sitting in the same room with these people. I sat on their couches and schmoozed with their managers and producers. It was so fun! And for those of you who know me...I finally got to meet and talk to Chris Tomlin (and members of his band)in person and not just in my dreams!! hehe Plus, I am a new fan of Watermark - sweet couple. Also got to talk to Louie Giglio and his wife Shelley and didn't even know it was them until later. Matt Redman - incredible songwriter ("Here I am to Worship" "Blessed Be Your Name" etc) was an amazing and humble guy. And for those of you who are David Crowder fans you will appreciate this - he is the most humble and genuine guy in the music industry...Hands down! Just thought I would throw that in.

Okay, I could go on typing story after story, but my hands are hurting. So, if you want to hear any of them - just ask me and I will tell you:)

4 comments:

ret said...

When we went to the "Songs 4 Worship Tour" concert a couple years ago, I remember thinking the same thing. I was almost stupid with the whole awestruck thing when we first got there...there were so many talented people on the stage. But before I knew it I had my eyes closed and forgot completely about who was up there and it was all about Him. It was a real testimony to the hearts of the artists that night. I'm sure that was their desire. I'm thrilled for you and Becca...getting that opportunity to go and be part of it all. Way, way cool.

sara said...

It was way, way cool and I do thank God for that experience. Completely new perspective on things. I wish I could have that same kind of worshipful attitude every single day of my life, like I did that night. I would be so much closer to God!
Why is it so hard to forget about ourselves and the situations that surround us as we worship? And how stupid are we (or am I at least) to let our problems with other people get in the way of personal and corporate worship times? The last thing we should even be thinking about is ourselves!

ret said...

Always thankful the Spirit helps us worship Him. Also thankful for the times we get to worship with those we love and join our hearts and voices together. That totally rocks.

sara said...

I really don't think there is anything sweeter than worshipping with the ones we love. You are correct...it totally rocks!