Monday, May 16, 2005

Adoption...What a Beautiful Thing

So, I spent the weekend in Warrensburg, Missouri (former place of ministry), visiting friends from Northside CC. It was a great 24 hours staying with a family I grew very close to while I lived there (The Hunts). Matt and Wini are an incredible couple and in the past 6 years they have adopted four children! Their first was their daughter Hailey, who is now 6 years old and quite the little lady. I went with her to get her hair cut this weekend (absolutely adorable). A couple years ago (the first year I moved to the Burg), they adopted Lacy, who is this spunky little girl that is incredibly full of life and always asking questions. I love her to pieces! She has some ethnic background, can't remember everything, but I know she is part Peruvian (she is dark complected, dark curly hair and simply gorgeous!) Then, about 2 months ago, they got a call saying they had been selected by a family and this time they were getting TWIN BOYS! They had 7 days to get everything ready before the boys would come! Normally, you have 9 months to prepare for something like this, but they got a week. They are saints! They welcomed little Jadon and Garon into their home and let me tell you these boys are bee-u-ti-ful little "mixed" babies! Dark hair and complexion, and blue eyes - they are going to be heart breakers!! Well, I fell in love with them at first sight and spent the weekend holding, feeding and burping them (cause that's basically all they do right now). Wini said in the past week though, they had just started to smile. So I got to see some of their first smiles:) How precious!

But adoption is such an amazing thing. In each case, these wonderful children could have been aborted, but the parents decided they wanted a better life for their children than they could give them...so adoption was the answer. And what a God-story each child has turned out to be! Matt and Wini are phenomenal parents and these four children are now going to grow up in a loving home where they will hear about God everyday and grow to know Him in a personal relationship. They will be surrounded by Christian love and support and never doubt for a moment that they were a mistake. And to be unconditionally loved by parents who are not biological...well, that's priceless!

Makes me think of how our Heavenly Father loves and adores us. How he adopted us into His family and now we are His. In his mind, there is no turning back...He won't give us back...we are stuck with Him forever. How beautiful is that? To be loved by such an incredible and awesome Daddy. Reminds me of and makes me want to sing the song "Abba, Father...I love you, Daddy". Beautiful and simple melody that completely expresses how I feel towards my Father. Fills me with love and gratitude this very moment...I am overwhelmed.

No comments: