Sunday, May 08, 2005

Always Picked Last

Today was Mother's Day and my family got together at Johnson Park to hang out and celebrate. (You know us...we like to have a party for every holiday under the sun!) We had some finger-lickin good chicken and tons of other goodies that were left out to graze by and eat. I played a little tennis and volleyball (got a good workout), but the highlight of the day was the softball game. Now, when it comes to softball and my family...there's no messin around. They are serious ball players to the core, playing every night of the week in different leagues around town.

As Shawna and I were heading over to the field, we were discussing how we were scared to play (or even make mention that we wanted to play for fear of being laughed at). We look at the field and noticed everyone out there already warming up and this is the best part...with their cleats, gloves and all the baseball gear the professionals use. (Mind you this is a fun family get-together). We stroll up, only one of us having a glove (and it was one we borrowed from my mom), wearing our capri pants, cute tops and tennis shoes. We made our way over to an empty spot in the field and started to throw back and forth. I begged my aunt, the captain, not to pick me last cause I always get picked last. She grinned and said "don't you worry!"

So the moment of truth came when every started walking over and they announced that the captains were going to start picking. Well, they picked the boys first and the ones with the "big guns" of course got snatched up in a heart beat. Then, they went to the girls....I waited and waited and waited. Sha got picked and I thought, well, maybe I have a chance? Then, my 5th grade cousins got picked and I thought to myself...."this is humiliating!" At that point, I wanted to walk away with my head between my legs. Then, my aunt Julie said, "Alright, Sara, you're with us." But what she was really thinking was "Crap, we got Sara, you think she'll be okay with being bat girl?" So, I joined my team and went ahead and just placed myself out in right field before anyone had to say anything.

I did okay in the outfield. Didn't get much action, except for when my uncle Matt hit one over the fence and busted someone's windshield...OOPS! They weren't even family members...BIG OOPS! So, we headed in for our turn at bat. I was the 3rd girl to hit...good spot in the line up I guess (I was just thankful they let me hit). I hit a grounder and got on base. And it just got better from there. Every time I got up to bat, I got a hit and got on base...Thank you very much!! I think I was the only one who didn't get an out and to top it off, I scored a run! So much for not wanting me on their team and for being the last pick! HAH! Eat it kids! It felt good...it felt REALLY good. Our team didn't win, but we made a big come back in the last inning from 11-2 and lost only 11-8.

You may be wondering how Shawna survived...she had some great hits and she caught two pop flies to right field (one being John's!!) haha:) Way to go girl!

4 comments:

ret said...

They were probably
thinking...Ok.Who invited Barbie and Skipper?

Ryan said...

SARA! How are you my friend? You never told me you had a blog! Man, I guess it's true that everyone really does have a blog these days... ANYway, just wanted to say HI :) Love ya & Miss ya! See ya friday!

Sara said...

Hey Sara! This is Scottie so Spottie! way to have a blog! it's pretty incredible how many friends of mine from school have blogs nowadays...i feel like everyone is becoming a geek like me! I've been doing the online journal thing since September of 2002! Anyway, my wife and SON will be at Central Grad on friday...so i bet i'll see ya there! Congrats on making the internship! Here's my website for pictures of Joel Aaron Hamilton: efaithfarm.com
See you around!

Matt said...

Hey Sara,
I always seem to root for the underdog! Your family is a bunch of softball freaks. It is about time I read your blog. Check out mine at wilpower sometime if you wanna. I am not that good at keeping updated, but I try.
Peace
Matt