Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Patriarchs

Women's Bible Study began this morning...well, at least for me it did. A whole slew of women have been wandering through the church for bible studies since Tuesday. Our group met this morning in a large theater type room with a big screen (we'll just say lots of women were there - holy cow!). As soon as we found our facilitator's group, we sat down and I got serious..."down to business" as they say. I've been out of the bible study realm for a few months now and I was ready to study and learn.

It was chaos with all these women trying to fit in one room. They were herding them in and the noise reached the boistrous level...let me tell ya. I'm trying to fill out my registration card and listen to the poor women up at the microphone trying to silence everyone. They started the video...no one would be quiet!! It went through this whole intro and still "chat chat chat". I mean come on...seriously!! Reverting back to my "teacher mode", I caught myself shooshing the crowd. Karla who was sitting next to me just laughed! "Well", I said smiling, "this is ridiculous!" After about 15 minutes the ladies finally got the picture that we were starting. Then during the prayer, someone's cell phone starting ringing with "The Entertainer Tune". I just shook my head. This annoying ring continued for the next 15 seconds...seriously. There should be a "Be Courteous to Others" workshop when you purchase your cell phone, so you can be reminded to silence your phones when you are in a quiet atmosphere. Can I get an Amen?

All of this to lead up to the reason why I'm writing today. This Bible study that Beth Moore is leading us through is going to be incredible. After I went through her Believing God series, I gained a tremendous amount of respect for her and her insights. She is very challenging and pushes you to see things that you would have never known before if you hadn't taken the hour each day to study God's Word. The "homework" is a stretch for those of us who are limited in their daylight hours, but this time I'm really going to strive to stick to it everyday.

It's an entire study about "The Patriarchs - Abraham, Isaac and Jacob". I've studied these guys in the past, but I do believe I will be enlightened on so many more biblical truths and applications from their lives this time around. I was already learning more about my spiritual heritage today...incredible insights into the past!

Thank you God for allowing me the opportunity to learn more about You and for allowing me to gain access to so many wonderful hidden treasures in Your Word. You're Amazing...

3 comments:

ret said...

I'm loving this one too. Cool stuff. I told Pam to order the Audio CD and listen to the study as she travels. Started my second week of homework this morning...wasn't that cross over stuff the coolest??

sara said...

okay, so i must admit that i haven't done any of the homework yet...slacker, I know! But if you're talking about the root word meaning 'crossover'...then yes, that was pretty cool:) stay on me ret, keep me accountable!! :)

Karla said...

Ok, you are so stinking hilarious. That's always how the first day is...those crazy women can't keep their cornholes shut!!